Basic Plain Sponge Cake
This is a simple sponge cake recipe - you can serve it plain sandwiched with jam to make a Victoria sponge cake, or fill with buttercream for a birthday cake.
Makes: 1 Cake
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 225g (8 oz) butter, at room temperature
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Prep: 20min › Cook: 25min › Ready in: 45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / gas mark 4.
- Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients using a electric whisk.
- Pour the mixture into 2 non-stick 7 inch (18cm) tins.
- Place them in the oven till golden brown 15-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before icing if required and finally add your Cakeshop cake topper.
Hints & tips
Once you get more confident with this recipe try adding almond essence, chocolate chips or even food colouring to turn this into your own masterpiece.
This yummy recipe is adapted from Kuppet’s post here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/12122/basic-plain-sponge-cake.aspx?o_is=LV