An easy to make egg-free icing that works great for decorating cakes for birthdays. When you need to add colouring to icing, use colour paste. If you use liquid colouring, you may need to add more icing sugar.
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 600g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
Prep: 10min › Extra time: 5min › Ready in: 15min
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and vanilla.
- Blend in the sugar, a quarter at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- Keep icing covered until ready to decorate.
This recipe is adapted from Sharon Gerstman’s post here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6110/buttercream-icing.aspx?o_is=Hub_TopRecipe_2