Red Velvet Cake
A fun cake for birthdays or a cake sale that looks beautiful. This is a lovely change from the norm.
Makes: 1 Cake
For the cupcakes
• 120g butter or cooking margarine • 300g caster sugar • 2 Eggs • 4 tablespoons red food colouring • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder • 225g buttermilk • 1 teaspoon salt • 300g plain flour, sifted • 1 tablespoon white vinegar • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
For the frosting
• 110g butter or margarine • 225g cream cheese • 450g icing sugar • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep: 20min › Cook: 30min › Ready in: 50min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour 2 x 23cm round cake tins.
- Cream butter, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Make a paste with food colouring and cocoa powder and add to the butter mixture.
- Mix buttermilk, salt, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar; add to mixture. Slowly add flour to mixture.
- Put mixture into greased cake tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely, then cover with cream cheese frosting.
- To make cream cheese frosting: Combine butter, cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
- Finally top your gorgeous cake with your Cakeshop cake topper!
Hints & tips
Why not make this as an alternative to a traditional Christmas fruit cake?!
This yummy recipe is adapted from Julie Dugas’s post here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/21325/julie-s-red-velvet-cake.aspx?o_is=LV