Wheat Free, Gluten Free Victoria Sponge Cake
A very light moist cake, just like a normal Victoria sponge, but wheat and gluten free! Use margarine rather than butter as it is lighter.
Makes: 1 cake
- 150g margarine
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 150g wheat and gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
Prep: 20min › Cook: 15min › Ready in: 35min
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder, beating well to combine.
- Add the milk. The mixture may be a bit sloppy, but that is fine, do not add more flour to dry it up! Turn the mixture into two lined sandwich tins.
- Bake until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool and then sandwich together with raspberry jam and cream.
- Finally, top with your Cakeshop cake topper!
Hints & tips
Try using a lemon flavouring rather than vanilla extract for something a little different!
This yummy recipe is adapted from Basketcase’s post here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/22768/wheat-gluten-free-victoria-sponge-cake.aspx?o_is=Hub_TopRecipe_5