Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream
These cupcakes taste super lemony, perfect for those lemon lovers. You can decide on the amount of lemon zest yourself - it depends on the size of lemons. I always just try the batter and if it’s not lemony enough, I stir in a little more zest.
Makes: 15 Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- juice and zest of 1-2 lemons
- 300g plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 300ml soured cream
For the buttercream
- 45g butter
- 270g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- a drop of vanilla extract
- 15ml milk
Prep: 20min › Cook: 25min › Ready in: 45min
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy and light, then stir in the sugar and vanilla. Stir in eggs one by one, stirring well after adding each one. Stir in the grated lemon zest and juice of half a lemon.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and stir alternately with the soured cream into the batter.
- Grease 15 muffin cups or line with paper cases. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. This recipe yields 12 cupcakes plus an extra 2-3 cupcakes so that you are still left with a dozen after testing them yourself.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tins and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Push a skewer into the centre of one of the cakes - if it comes out clean, the cupcakes are ready.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the tins for about 10 minutes and then remove to cool completely on a wire cake rack.
- For the buttercream, beat the butter until fluffy, stir in half of the icing sugar (be careful not to get it everywhere!) and then alternately stir in the lemon juice, the milk and the rest of the icing sugar. This produces quite a lot of buttercream, but my kids just lick the buttercream off the cupcakes, so I’m always happy to make extra so they can decorate them again afterwards.
- Squirt the buttercream with a piping bag or spread it on top of the cupcakes with a knife before finishing with your Cakeshop cupcake toppers.
This yummy recipe is adapted from Babsi_s’s post here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/15952/lemon-cupcakes-with-lemon-buttercream.aspx?o_is=LV