This is the best vanilla sponge mix I have ever made or tasted and is so easy to make. The key to it is how long you whisk it for and the baking time. You can use the recipe to make 1 whole sponge cake. Just lengthen the cooking time to around 25 to 30 minutes (although the trick is to judge by sight and bounce!)
Makes: 24 cupcakes
- 175g (6 oz) softened butter or Stork® margarine
- 175g (6 oz) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 175g (6 oz) self-raising flour
Prep: 10min › Cook: 14min › Extra time: 30min cooling › Ready in: 54min
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixer and whizz up until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the vanilla essence and add the eggs - whizz again to make a yellow batter.
- Add the flour and mix until it is smooth, about 5 minutes. Stop once in the middle of this and scrape the sides down using a spatula. The longer mixing time enables air to get into the mixture which will make it lighter. Pour into fairy or cupcake cases.
- Bake for about 14 minutes. Keep an eye on them. They will be perfect when they bounce back to the touch and the top still looks slightly sticky. This will ensure they keep their moisture.
- Leave on a cooling rack for 30 minutes or until cool, then ice and decorate with your Cakeshop cake toppers.
Hints & tips
Top with buttercream, fondant icing or just eat plain!!
This yummy recipe is adapted from r0xychick’s post here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/22615/vanilla-cupcakes.aspx