Frequently Asked Questions
Got a question about our edible cake toppers? We can help.
Are your cake toppers edible?
Yes, they are! Our cake toppers are printed onto your choice of icing paper or wafer paper with edible inks, so they’re perfectly safe to eat.
What do your cake toppers taste like?
Our cake toppers are lightly sweetened to complement your delicious cake!
What size are your cake toppers?
Our cake toppers come in a variety of different sizes and shapes to suit your bakes.
Our cupcake toppers are 1.6” (40mm) in diameter, perfect for individual sized cakes and bakes.
For larger bakes, we have several different shapes as well as sizes. Our round cake toppers are 7” (178mm) diameter, while our square cake toppers 7x7” (178mm). We also have landscape and portrait cake toppers that measure 10x7” (254x178mm).
What’s the difference between icing toppers and wafer toppers?
We print with edible inks onto two different types of edible paper. Here’s a breakdown of the differences between wafer paper and icing paper to help you work out which is best for your bakes:
- Our wafer toppers are made from extra thick, lightly sweetened rice paper.
- Wafer toppers are pre-cut. Just pop them out of their sheet along the perforated edges and they’re ready to go.
- Wafer toppers work best with buttercream.
- Wafer paper doesn’t like humidity. If it’s too humid in your kitchen, or if your hands are wet, they tend to lose their stiffness and the edges can curl. This just means it’s best to apply wafer toppers to cakes just before serving so they look their best.
- Our icing toppers are essentially a layer of thin icing – perfect for lying flat on an iced cake.
- Icing toppers are pre-cut. Just peel them from their backing sheet and they’re ready to go.
- Prints appear a little sharper on icing toppers, but they can run or smudge if the topper gets wet. It’s important to use a very small amount of sticking agent and always work with clean, dry hands.
- Icing toppers are a slightly creamier shade of white.
- Icing will tear if it’s too sticky or wet, so it’s best to work in a cool environment with dry hands.
Do I have to cut cake toppers out?
Nope – all our edible cake toppers are pre-cut. All you have to do is peel icing toppers from their backing sheet, or gently press out wafer toppers from the perforated sheet. Take a look at our how it works page for more detailed instructions.
Do you have any tips to make sure my personalised cake toppers look amazing?
Absolutely! Here are some key things to remember:
- We recommend you choose a high-resolution image with a light-coloured background. Low-resolution images, or images with dark backgrounds, can affect the print quality.
- We suggest image dimensions of approximately 1,000 pixels for the smallest edge of your photos. We print images at 300DPI (dots per inch), so if you’re scanning your image, we recommend this setting. Basically, the larger the image you upload, the better the quality of the print will be.
- If you do upload a photo that has a low resolution or image size, we’ll still accept it. However, the image may not be of a very high quality when printed. Don’t worry, a friendly pop-up will let you know if your chosen photo is low resolution.
- If you’re uploading a photo from your computer, images must be in JPEG format. Any other format, like Word documents or PDFs, won’t be accepted.
- Cupcake and instant photo toppers are small so are perfect for fitting 1 or 2 faces on – not ideal for an office team photo!
What’s the print quality like?
We think it’s pretty good, if we do say so ourselves. Remember, we’re printing onto icing and wafer paper so the image quality won’t be as good as a photo… but you can’t eat a photo!
Will the colours change when you print my photo onto the icing or wafer paper?
We think it remains pretty true to the original uploaded picture but as we use edible inks, there may occasionally be small variations in colour to the image on your screen, just like if you print a photo at home.
What ingredients are used?
For a full list of the ingredients we use in our icing paper, wafer paper and edible ink, please see our ingredients page. Our cake toppers are suitable for vegetarians and vegans. They are nut, gluten and lactose free.
How long do cake toppers last for?
Our cake toppers are good for a minimum of 2 months at the time of dispatch, but generally they can be kept for up to 6 months. The use by date can be found on the packet seal. Once you open your toppers, please keep them in an airtight container and consume within 10 days.
How can I contact you?
We’d love to hear from you! Get in touch any time here.
Where are my cake toppers made?
Our cake toppers are made by our team in Wiltshire, UK.
Are you VAT registered?
Yes, we are. Please contact us for more details.
I want to talk to you about placing a large order. How can I get in touch?
We’d be delighted to talk to you about your requirements. If you’re a business, take a look at our corporate page, otherwise please get in touch via our contact form.